Few of the workplace discrimination that a person can experience in the workplace are:

-    Age discrimination

-    Sexual Orientation 

-    Religious Discrimination

-    National Origin

-    Race, Colour, sex


It is the time when I first arrived in Australia and started working in retail at that time I personally saw a person been discriminated at my workplace . It was about six months after I started working at that place and there was a new guy they hired named Gagan or he liked to be called Gaga. Everything was going pretty well he finished his first week of training and started working with the old team. He was this brief guy with the beard and cap always on. He was from India just arrived to Australia as a student studying accounting. 

Everything was going pretty well for him until some of the other employees started discriminate him only because his english was not good enough. I thought he might have some issues with communicating even if his other skills in english was good. Then the days gone by even people from his own country started making fun of him. He was quite decent and helpful guy but only because he doesn't speak english well people were making fun of him and also discriminating him for his national origin. 

I felt like people didn't really cared about him so one day I had a chat with Gaga and spoke to him about the situation. He did felt the same way I was observing. He asked me what could be the solution fo this. I suggested him to speak to the manager as I thought that would be the best thing to do. He denied at first however he might have thought about it later and spoke to the manager about the situation later on. Manager quickly reacted to the situation and called up a meeting with the staffs and explained everyone about the consequences they might face by discriminating someone at the workplace. Everyone pleaded guilty and that never happened again.   

Thus, sometimes you just need to speak up and the problem could be solved.


Comments